Go pink or go home

Another baby project today, in the form of a dip-dye baby blanket. A little while ago my friend Mel gave me a white cotton blanket for our baby, which was lovely, but I planned to spruce it up a bit. Knowing the sex of our baby has definitely given me free reign to go a bit more girly than usual when making things – but then again, I’m a fan of pink anyway. So after a bit of Pinterest inspiration, I decided to try my hand at dip-dying the blanket a very bright and bold shade of PINK! I chose Dylon’s ‘Flamingo Pink’, because, go pink or go home, right?

There are loads of DIY ombré dip-dye tutorials out there, and they all tend to suggest slightly different hints and tips at getting the perfect ombré dip-dye. After doing lots of research and reading, I realised the best thing to do was probably just to go for it. I covered our kitchen table with copious amounts of newspaper, and, following the instructions on the dye packet, filled a bucket with water and mixed in some salt – a lot of salt, actually, as this helps the dye to take to the fabric.

IMG_3952

First off, I rinsed the blanket in cold water so it was damp – one great tip I read was that any bits you don’t want dying should stay totally dry, as the dye will only spread up the wet parts. So as I wanted the top of my blanket to stay white I kept that part as dry as possible. Generally, with dip-dying, I found that you can either submerge the fabric in the water and then pull it out a bit at a time, or go the other way and feed the fabric into the dye. I decided to submerge the blanket and then gradually pull it out, onto a towel on the table. Each time I left the blanket for around 10-15 minutes, as I wanted as really good, dark pink at the bottom. Another good tip is to sway the fabric slightly in the water, to avoid getting a rigid line of colour between the sections.

IMG_3961
IMG_3971
IMG_3962

Once the dying was complete, I emptied the bucket and gave the blanket a rinse in cold water in the sink, then washed it in the machine to set the dye. Then hung it out to dry. Done! Although I really enjoyed the whole dying process, I would have preferred to have a longer fade from white to pink, whereas I ended up with a huge dark pink section and not much pale pink/white at the top of the blanket. I did wash the blanket again to see if this would help it to fade, which it did – but only slightly (probably all that salt). Considering this was my first attempt at ombré dip-dying I am pretty pleased, though!

To complete the blanket, I continued with the all-out pink theme and, inspired by this great blanket, made some bright pink tassels and sewed them onto the corners. And there you have it – a full-on girly baby blanket! Just hoping they didn’t get it really wrong at the scan and a boy pops out…

IMG_3976
IMG_4581
IMG_4585
IMG_4601
IMG_4592

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s